Ordering an at-home abortion online is appealing because of its privacy and convenience; however, there are important health conditions you should be aware of that can disqualify you. It’s also important to be aware of the health screenings that are skipped when you choose this option.
The abortion pill can be used up to 10 weeks (70 days) of pregnancy, and the regimen consists of two different drugs. Keep reading to learn more about the process and how to know if you qualify.
Ordering Online Skips Important Health Screenings
If you choose to get the abortion medication after a telehealth appointment, this does forfeit the benefits of important health screenings, such as an ultrasound.
An ultrasound will confirm how long you have been pregnant, so you will know if you are within the 70-day timeframe.
An ultrasound will also show if your pregnancy is progressing and if you are experiencing a health complication such as an ectopic pregnancy (which needs a different treatment, not the abortion pill).
You May Not Qualify for the Abortion Pill
According to the Mayo Clinic, some of these conditions may eliminate your ability to use the abortion pill:
- Your pregnancy is too far along
- You have an intrauterine device (IUD)
- You have an ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy is located outside the uterus)
- Certain medical conditions, such as bleeding disorders, certain heart or blood vessel diseases, uncontrolled seizures, etc.
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medications
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your doctor
The Abortion Pill Comes with Risks
The Mayo Clinic lists the following risks of a medical abortion:
- An ongoing unwanted pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
It also comes with the possibility of an incomplete abortion, which would require a surgical intervention.
Your health matters. To confirm the dating of your pregnancy, do a health screening, and know for sure if you qualify before ordering the abortion pill online, contact Pregnancy Help Center South for a no-cost ultrasound.
Our medical team is here to inform and empower you so you can make a decision with confidence. Contact us today!