Every pregnancy comes with a rush of emotions – surprise, nervousness, excitement – no matter what age you are or what kind of situation or relationship you’re in. But when you weren’t expecting to get pregnant, you might also add “fear” or “helplessness” to that list. If you find out you’re pregnant unexpectedly, you need to know what to do next and how to find help. Keep reading for our tips.
If you are facing an unplanned pregnancy and you live near St. Louis, MO, call Pregnancy Help Center South County at 314-894-9800 to learn more about your options. We offer free services, professional help, and a non-judgemental zone in which you can get information and learn about your options.
The most important thing to remember when you find out you’re pregnant is the simplest to say but the hardest to do – don’t panic. It’s easy to jump to conclusions, begin imagining the worst and start worrying. The best advice here is to take some deep breaths and do your best to stay calm. Remember that women and couples deal with pregnancy and parenting every day. You’re certainly not alone, and there will always be ways to get help.
Make Sure You’re Actually Pregnant
You would be surprised to find out how many women start worrying about being pregnant before they’ve even taken a test. While late periods, light cycles, or missed menstruation are common signs of being pregnant, they’re not foolproof. You need to get accurate pregnancy test results as a first step. There’s no need to worry or stress before you actually confirm you’re pregnant. At Pregnancy Help Center South County, we offer free and confidential pregnancy tests to any woman who needs one.
See if the Pregnancy is Healthy
Once you know you’re actually pregnant, you also need to make sure the pregnancy is healthy and viable. An ultrasound examination can tell you whether your pregnancy is healthy and if it is growing safely in your uterus. It can also tell you the estimated gestational age of your baby and the estimated due date. This information helps you plan ahead and tells you what options are available to you. We offer limited obstetrical ultrasounds at no cost to you.
Learn About & Consider Options
Not sure whether you’re ready to be a parent? You have a few different pregnancy options you should consider. Take your time at our clinic and with our helpful staff so that all your questions get answered and you feel fully educated about these choices. Each one has its own upsides and downsides, but you will only be able to choose one for your pregnancy.
- Parenting – Parenting is the most obvious choice, but if you aren’t in a stable life-situation, it can be difficult.
- Adoption Placement – Many agencies work with birth mothers to provide care and living expenses during your pregnancy. You can also control how much contact you get with your baby after the adoption is complete.
- Abortion – Many women rush to consider abortion. However, you should be aware of the mental and physical side effects that abortion methods involve. We offer pre-abortion assessments to answer all of your questions.
Consider What’s Holding You Back
Many women are scared when they find out they’re pregnant because they don’t think they’re ready to parent or to support a child. Keep in mind that these fears are normal, even for couples who have planned to become pregnant. It can help to consider what you think is keeping you from being a good parent. That way you can put effort into changing those things. For instance:
- If you’re worried about supporting a child financially, try planning out a monthly budget and seeing where you can save on your current expenses.
- If you feel like you can’t become a parent because of your school or work schedule, try looking into free or reduced-cost parenting help near you. There are a number of organizations and resources that can help you manage your schedule.
- Think you’re not ready to become a parent just because it’s scary or you don’t have any experience? Remember that everyone feels that way at one time or another. You can always get support and learn about parenting skills from classes, groups, and online.
Get Support and Help
It’s natural to look for support and guidance when it comes to pregnancy. At Pregnancy Help Center South County, you can get assistance with every part of your pregnancy, including pregnancy testing, limited obstetric ultrasounds, medically accurate education and resources, and other options for advice and help. All of our services are 100% free and confidential. Call 314-894-9800 or text 314-856-2115 now to learn more or schedule your appointment online.